Tax planning London

Tax Planning- Resident & Non- Resident

In a global economy many people are choosing to work overseas, whether leaving the UK for employment in another country, or coming from overseas to work in the UK.

Am I a UK or Non-UK Tax Resident?
The tax treatment of income can be a complex area and it is advisable to seek specialist advice as the rules regarding residence in and out of the UK have altered radically in recent years. There is a new residence test due to become law in the near future which will seek to define whether an individual is resident or non resident in the UK.

Our experts can guide you through the new rules to establish your position and help you plan to keep your tax bills to the minimum.

UK Residents Going Abroad:
There are many things to consider when planning such a move, such as:

  • Reviewing contracts of employment/self employment
  • The changing impact of Income Tax on your earnings and investment income
  • The changing impact of Capital Gains Tax on your assets
  • Planning dates of departure from and re-entry into the UK
  • Calculating allowable days in the UK including working days
  • If you are leaving the UK to become non-resident our tax specialists can help you make sure everything is organised to minimise tax and to avoid pitfalls.

Overseas Nationals Coming to the UK:
It is no surprise that the UK tax authorities will be interested in your financial affairs.

Areas to Consider Are:

  • Establishing your UK tax status
  • The taxation of income and capital gains while you are here
  • Whether to use an offshore company to hold UK assets
  • Inheritance tax rules on UK and overseas assets
  • Help with will writing and related tax planning

Our experts are familiar with all these issues and are happy to welcome you and help you plan for a new tax regime.